
You remember I stated something about a fellow named Putt Humphreys. He and some of the Denver crowd that had planes and flew got together and built several of these. An airplane company was formed. Humphreys name was in the company logo, and was printed on the vertical fin.
As to the date, my only clue is that it was part of the demonstration of the first prototype DC4.
That particular plane had 3 vertical fins like a Constellation. The production model that went to the airlines and military had just a single fin. I was in High school when it first came to Denver on a publicity tour by Douglas. I read about it and was determined to see it.
So I went to Ben Kitchen, the high school principal, and told him I would be absent the next day because I was going to Denver to see the DC4. I did this hoping the school would not charge me with an unapproved absence. I was prepared for some guff from Kitchen but, God bless him, he thought about it for a few seconds and smiled and said he thought it a good idea.
It was there several days because of UAL's large presence in Denver I had a ride from Hugh Shumway, a fellow who stayed with us the summer when I slept on the porch which freed my room. He let me off on the highway and I walked the 3 miles into Stapleton Field. After I had gone through the plane and walked out around it on the ramp (I was in hog heaven) I walked the whole distance to downtown Denver to catch my ride back home. I believe it had a 145 HP Warner 5 cylinder radial engine.
My guess is that it was in 1939.
My Notes: I found this picture, taken in Alameda California in 1939, of a Humphreys MG-2 on the internet. It looks pretty familiar! I can't find much else about this plane on the internet which is odd - there must not have been many made.

Here is another picture of Dad's. It surely looks to be the same plane.

From Slim:
Its got to be 1939 The triple tail Douglas is the give away clue. United paraded the aircraft around the US [but] couldn't get much interest so it was sold to Japan at the end of 39. Benny Howard a famous gent at the time was the test pilot. I know Ron worked for Douglas and I think I remember him telling me he met him there.
The little job there is an early home built here in Denver. I saw a picture recently so it has been restored and still flying
No comments:
Post a Comment