Friday, March 20, 2009

Plane #10 - Rose Parakeet.


Oh yes! I think the red biplane is a Rose Parakeet. It is a very old design. I had read about them when I was in High School. Once Slim and I went down to Denver and sneaked over to the General Aviation hanger at Stapleton Field and saw the first one. I could have killed for one!

I have no idea how many are left but Paul Merritt has one. The one Paul has has been ground looped several times. It is pretty short coupled and could easily want to swap ends in a cross wind. There is a fellow that comes to Bartlesville all the time and has built several of them. There are usually several at the Biplane show in late summer. I could go on and on about Parakeets! Come to think of it there is someone making them down in NM or Ariz.

From Slim:

Doug Rhineheart of Farmington NM did get the mfg rights and did make a few and also sold plans so several we built. Jack Grierner has one here and is for sale
The original ones like you say were mfg in Chicago with 40 hp in middle or late 1937.

Most of he later built ones had 85, 90 or 100 hp All were strut braced no flying wires similar to cabin Wacos I would guess a good portion of them have been ground looped. Other than that I think they were a great little plane.

The gent in the Tulsa that Ron and I knew of and saw to it that both airplanes made it to Bartlesville named the Ramblin Rose and Second Hand Rose. I used magnifying glass on the vertical fin on this one. All I can make out is maybe three words on top in an arc on top and Parakeet on the bottom This might be Second Hand Rose.

No comments:

Post a Comment