
My guess is that it is a C5. Most are labeled C5A now. That is a USAF cargo plane somewhat larger than a Boeing 747. Like most all cargo planes of the Airforce they are designed to land on soft ground so it has a lot of wheels.They are really big planes. Up at the top of the fuselage behind the wing there is a passenger section with 87 airline type seats. It looks like you are walking onto a 727!
The cargo section looks like a barn or a huge gymnasium. It can hold most things the Army would need to transport. When I was making OSH I knew a gal who was a Loadmaster on one of these hummers. She alluded to it having a very long range as well as a large payload. It was loaded from a clamshell door in the front (nose) of the plane. Vehicles can drive right into the plane. There is a long ramp to drive tanks and other vehicles on and off the plane.
I have no idea what it's performance really is. It has a crew of three. Two pilots and the Loadmaster. Or so I have been told. I do not remember when it first came on the scene, but it is quite old. It has had several modifications. A real major one involved a wing modification (I think this was what made it a C5A).
It has also had several engine upgrades. But it is still a backbone of the USAF long range cargo fleet. Once when I was flying to Okinawa there was one on the field and we talked the crew into giving us a tour. They were still classified at that time. It is the only one I have ever been close to.
No comments:
Post a Comment